Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Road by: Cormac McCarthy


I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. There is not really a big reason that I chose this book. I wasn't sure which one to pick and Ms. Lannin suggested it to the class... So I chose it. It is about a father and son who are trying to travel south to the coast. It takes place in the future after an apocalyptic type event took place. The father is under the impression that by making it to the coast they will be able to survive. At the current part I am at in my reading, they are attempting to make it past the mountains in the middle of winter.
A significant part in the text so far that really hit me was when they came across an old vending machine with a coke in it.
"He took the can and sipped it and handed it back. "You drink it", he said. "Let's just sit here." "It's because I won't ever get to drink another one, isn't it?" "Ever's a long time" "Okay," the boy said.
This part really spoke to me because before he tried it the boy had never had a coke before. And it's the little things in life like a small can of coca-cola that we take for granted in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment