Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Perfect Storm


I am reading The Perfect Storm, by Sebastian Junger. I chose this book because I've always been attracted to the sea, and stories about the sea. Another reason why I was attracted to this book is its relevance to my family. The story is about Gloucester fisherman, and both sides of my family all live in Marblehead, Massachusetts, which is in close proximity to Gloucester and has the same deep tradition in fishing and maritime. In the first few chapters I've read, not much has happened that really moved me. The introduction however really sets the pace of the book by describing how a bottle was found in the ocean with a note inside of it. The date was from 1896, and it told of a ship and a crew that was facing an inevitable end. The sailor wrote about how his crew mates were responding to it. I find this moving in that the feeling must be so helpless, knowing your ship is sinking and no one is there to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment