Monday, December 20, 2010

Gatsby final quotes

For this assessment, you are asked to post your reaction to one of the 10 quotes/passages. Your response should tell us who is speaking and in what situation and then go on to explain its significance in terms of one of the themes of the book that we have discussed. You must choose a quote that has not already been chosen, so don't procrastinate!

1. "Can't repeat the past?" Why, of course you can!"

2. "I hate careless people. That's why I like you."

3. "I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife. Well, if that's the idea you can count me out."

4. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such beautiful shirts."

5. "It doesn't matter any more. Just tell him the truth -- that you never loved him -- an it's wiped out forever."

6. "They're a rotten crowd. You're worth the whole damn bunch put together."

7. "They were careless people....They smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money...and let other people clean up their messes."

8. "Oh you want too much! I love you now... isn't that enough? I can't help what's past."

9. "Gatsby turned out all right in the end -- it's what preyed upon him, what foul dust floated in the wake of his dreams that temporarily closed out my interest in the abortive sorrows and short-winded elations of man."

10. Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us....so we beat on, boats against the tide, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

2 comments:

  1. Kyle wants this.

    4. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such beautiful shirts."

    ReplyDelete